Banner
HomeAbout UsSchool of Nursing HistoryMembershipsEventsNuns and NightingalesContact UsAlumnae Constitution & ByLawsEnd
Nuns and Nightingales
The Time Capsule
Unveiling of the Time Capsule
Holy Cross Commenerative


Holy Cross Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae

"NUNS AND NIGHTINGALES"


nurses pin



Four brave Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) accepted the challenge to travel west from Montreal to the frontier town of Calgary, Alberta. They arrived on January 30, 1891 after a nine day journey at 2am in the morning to begin their task to establish the Holy Cross Hospital with $73.75. On April 19, 1892 the first patient was admitted to the 24 square foot building located near St. Mary's Cathedral. Plans were soon underway to build a larger facility on the site west of the Elbow River where it remains a landmark in the Mission/Cliff Bungalow area of the City.

St Mary's Cathedral today

The Holy Cross Commemorative "Nuns & Nightingales" is to acknowledge the contribution the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) made to the history of Calgary with the establishment of the Holy Cross Hospital in 1891. The School of Nursing was founded in 1907, 2010 marked the 100th Anniversary of the first class of six, and 2409 Nurses graduated from the facility until its closure in 1979.

The Commemorative is a Bronze sculpture created by Shirley and Don Begg, Studio West, Cochrane, depicting a Sister of Charity (Grey Nun) in traditional habit and a nurse in Graduation uniform circa 1950. The Bronze is proudly displayed in front of the 1929 wing of the Holy Cross Centre on 2nd Street West. This building has been designated a Municipal Historical Resource and will preserved in its entirety.

The Holy Cross Hospital played an important role in the Mission Community providing care to many over the years it was in operation. The Legacy of Care, Compassion and Charity taught and practiced by the Sisters is still prevalent throughout Calgary, and across Canada by the Nurses who graduated from the School of Nursing.

The Unveiling was held on Sunday, September 25, 2011 at the Holy Cross Centre 1929 wing. The Alumnae of the Holy Cross Hospital School of Nursing were joined by Bishop Henry who offered a blessing for the Bronze, the Sisters of Charity ( Grey Nuns ) family, friends and dignitaries from the City of Calgary who were attendance to help celebrate the event.

Submitted by, Barbara Nesselbeck (Barrett Feb., 60) on behalf of the Holy Cross Commemorative Committee Alumnae Association of the Holy Cross School of Nursing.


"Holy Cross Hospital School of Nursing Alumni Association Unveiling of "Nuns and Nightingales" Bronze Statues Sunday, September 25th, 2011, Holy Cross Hospital 1929 wing.

Video complements of Betty Saver Alumnae Association of the Holy Cross School of Nursing.
E-mail   BA Saver Betty Saver (Fitzpatrick '66 "FITZ")


plaque
top of Page
©   The Holy Cross Hospital School of Nursing Alumnae; All rights Reserved