We enlisted the help of the Mission-Cliff Bungalow group who were very pleased with this proposal to enhance the heritage of the Mission Cliff Bungalow district.
In July of 2009 the 1929 wing was declared a Municipal Historical Resource and would be kept in its entirety. This was very good news because we felt the Bronze would be secure in that spot.
In July of 2010 we were called by an assistant to distinguished Calgary businessman Allan Markin, who has been awarded many honorary awards and degrees and is a philanthropist, that he was willing to donate a very generous contribution to the fund for the Bronze. Mr. Markin has a special philanthropic interest in health, wellness, and education. This was a turning point to officially commission the Beggs to proceed. Now the research stage began with meetings about traditional Habit of the Sisters and the Graduate uniform was decided to be circa 1950. The Beggs made several trips to Winnipeg, Mn. to meet with Sister Jean Ell, St. Boniface who has made many of the actual habit to guide them through the details and history of the Sisters of Charity garment.In April 2011 open house at Studio West to view the clay model of the Bronze was well attended and all were amazed at the size and accuracy of the figures. The official Unveiling will be Sunday, September 25, 2011 the reunion week-end for the Alumnae.
Meeting with the Landscape architect, and having a survey done of area for the placement, construction of the base and finally plans to close the street for the unveiling day,were our next stage for the final completion. Meeting with the Landscape architect, and having a survey done of area for the placement, construction of the base and finally plans to close the street for the unveiling day, were our next stage for the final completion. The official Unveiling was Sunday, September 25, 2011 the reunion week-end for the Alumnae.
In January 2012 we met with Mr. Ron Mathison, who had agreed to assist with
landscaping of the 1929 green space where the Statues are placed. Following this meeting we met with a Landscape Architect who did the original plans for the base who presented us with an estimate for the site. This proved to be very expensive endeavor. We forwarded the information to Mr. Mathison hoping he might have an alternative plan in mind. In the summer of 2012 we had not received any follow-up about the Landscaping and decided to get another estimate from an independent company. Our agreement with the Management of the Holy Cross was to have the site completed by the end of 2012. The second estimate was forwarded to Mr. Mathison and a meeting was arranged at the site with him and an associate where we went over our ideas and plans for the area. Management of the Holy Cross approved the proposed plans and in October the work began. The completion will be done by Spring 2013. However, the area looks very good already with new trees, bushes and new cement around base of the Statues.
An Endowment has been set up in perpetuity by Bob and Nola Rintoul for the
maintenance of the Bronze. Karen Begg Studio West, Cochrane will be providing this service
Naturally there were a lot of details to work out for this project, but we feel that at the time we started the Alumnae was as strong as it is going to be. Thanks to the
encouragement and financial support of our fellow Graduates, the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns) fellow graduates, family, friends and generous
businessmen "Nuns and Nightingales" is standing proudly as a reminder of the past. A tribute to the Sisters who so many years ago came West to establish
the Holy Cross Hospital and the 2409 Nurses who graduated from the School
of Nursing from its beginnings in 1907 to its closure in 1979.
Holy Cross Commemorative Committee
From Lt: Barbara Nesselbeck (Barrett Feb. 1960), Dolores Bramall (Tench
Feb 1958), Rita Williamson (McAleese 1951) Anne Busch (Silbernagel Feb. 1958), (not shown) Advisor Barbara Kwasny (Holmes 1953).
Our special thoughts are with two of our Graduates who initially volunteered to help with this project: Gerrie (O'Connor) Macdonald (1959) and Diane Allan (1963). Both of these ladies were unable to continue with the Commemorative project as they became ill and passed away.